Select Specialty Medications Transitioning to Accredo® Specialty Pharmacy
Beginning June 1, 2018, Accredo – a full-service specialty pharmacy – became Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas’ (BCBSTX) preferred in-network provider of select specialty medications covered under the medical benefit for administration to BCBSTX members. Since June 1, 2018, AllianceRx Walgreens Prime was removed from the BCBSTX medical specialty network. AllianceRx Walgreens Prime will continue to be a preferred provider of specialty medications covered under the pharmacy benefit, which are typically FDA-approved for self-administration.
To help ensure a seamless transition, affected patients with active prescriptions (eligible prescriptions with remaining refills) are being systematically transferred from AllianceRx Walgreens Prime to Accredo. Affected patients with recent medical specialty prescription history at AllianceRx Walgreens Prime will be contacted by Accredo through awareness letters and outreach phone calls. The phone call will confirm appointments and shipping information for the next refill, as well as help setting up ongoing care and support services. Providers with patients affected by this change will be notified via fax.
Please Note: Specialty medication coverage is based on a member’s benefit. This change does not affect patients whose specialty medication may be covered under their pharmacy benefit. This change also does not affect patients with Medicare Part D or Medicaid coverage. Please call the number on the member’s ID card to verify coverage, or for further assistance or clarification on your patient’s benefits, including any prior authorization or predetermination approval that may be required.
Getting Started with Accredo
For patients without valid prescriptions, providers can submit new prescriptions to Accredo. First, visit accredo.com, then select Prescribers and then Referral Forms. You can choose referral forms by product or therapy name, or by the first letter of the specialty condition. You can also call 866-759-1557. Prior authorization information should be included with each prescription.
Patient Care and Support Services
Accredo offers personalized care and support services, including:
- Comprehensive access to specialty drug products, and clinician-verified dosage and safety recommendations
- 24/7 access to a clinician team, plus flexible and convenient delivery to an address of your patient’s choice with included supplies
- Care coordination to minimize drug-related adverse episodes or gaps in care
- Assistance with medical insurance benefits, prior authorization and financial assistance coordination
- Specialty trained clinicians at Accredo’s Therapeutic Resource CentersSM who are skilled in targeted therapy management programs that improve adherence, support the provider/patient relationship and care plan, review therapy progress, and maintain open communication with the provider and patient
If you have any questions, please call the number on the back of your patient’s ID card.
Accredo is an independent specialty pharmacy provider working with BCBSTX. The relationship between BCBSTX and specialty pharmacies is that of independent contractors.